A. Types of Aid
The University of Puerto Rico offers a wide variety of financial assistance programs for the undergraduate student. Financial assistance may be provided by federal funds, state, institutional and private funds through grants, student loans, and work-study programs to students who meet the requirements.
Some financial assistance programs available are: Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant or (FSEOG), LEAP Program, SLEAP Program, Stafford Loans (Direct Loans) and Perkins Loans.
B. General Requirements for Financial Aid
1. Be a U.S. citizen or legal resident in the U.S.
2. Enroll in an eligible program as a regular student seeking a degree or certificate.
3. Show economic need, based on a formula that takes into account the family and student contributions to the cost of education. The approximate cost of tuition, books, fees, room, board and transportation are deducted from this amount.
4. Fulfill the academic progress requirement as defined by the University of Puerto Rico’s Board of Members on the Certification 054, 2000-01. Please contact the Student Financial Aid Office for provide further details.
5. Register (or have registered) for Selective Service, if you are a male between the ages of 18-25
Other requirements may apply, depending on the kind of financial assistance program. For more information, please contact the Student Financial Aid Office or our English Department Office.